OCTOBER 22ND IS INTERNATIONAL CAPS LOCK DAY!!1!!!!!! EVERY YEAR WE GET TOGETHER AND MAKE SALMON FOR TOAST, EVERY YEAR WE GET A CROCKETY BLOAT, EVERY YEAR WE GET DRUNK ON THE DOCKS, AND EVERY YEAR WE HAVE SEX WITH OUR CAPS LOCKS!!!!
Brazilian musician, Ed Motta, created a good mix of Japanese 70s-80s AOR music titled: Japanese City Pop Mix Vol. 2.
Motta: "City Pop is a sub-genre of J-Pop (Japanese Pop), but it's more specific with a soulful element and influences from West Coast pop and soft rock, starting in the mid-'70s with the first groups formed by Tatsuro Yamashita and Haruomi Hosono. City Pop is really AOR and soft rock but with some funk and boogie too. "
Comments from Ed Motta available at Wax Poetics.
1. Char – 「かげろう」(1976)
2. Buzz – 「ガラス窓」(1974)
3. Chu Kosaka (小坂忠) – 「Ryusei Toshi」(1975)
4. Haruko Kuwana (桑名晴子) – 「あこがれのサンダウン」(1978)
5. Yoshino Fujimaru (芳野藤丸) – 「Who Are You?」(1982)
6. Hitomi "Penny" Tohyama (当山ひとみ) – 「Love Is the Competition」(1983)
7. Yasuhiro Abe (安部恭弘) – 「Irene」(1984)
8. Hi-Fi Set – 「Two in the Party」(1979)
9. Junko Ohashi (大橋純子) – 「Telephone Number」(1984)
10. Spectrum – 「Paradise」(1981)
11. Michihiro Kobayashi (小林みちひろ) – 「銀色の雨」(1980)
12. Yukari Ito (伊東ゆかり) – 「マリコ」(1982)
13. Toshiki Kadomatsu (角松敏生) – 「If You...」(1984)
14. Bread & Butter – 「Paradoxical Love」(1980)
15. Tetsuji Hayashi (林哲司) – 「Silly Girl」(1980)
16. Ken Tamura (ケン田村) – 「A Little Bit Easier」(1982)
18. Hiroyuki Nanba (難波弘之) – 「夏への扉」(1979)
19. Gingi Ito (伊藤銀次) – 「こぬか雨」(1977)
20. Kazuhito Murata (村田和人) – 「So Long, Mrs.」(1983)
A major figure in higher education has passed. William G. Bowen was president of Princeton, head of the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, and helped launch a variety of projects, including JSTOR, Artstor, and Ithaka Harbors. 2012 winner of the National Medal of Arts and National Humanities Medal, Bowen also found time to write nineteen books, many influential, often on higher education.
Confirming months of speculation, the official Star Wars Twitter account has announced that Community and Atlanta star Donald Glover has been cast as smooth-talking space pirate Lando Calrissian in Disney's upcoming Han Solo film.
This Is Marshall McLuhan: The Medium Is The Massage [54m] is a well-done little-known film put out in conjunction with his well-known book The Medium Is The Massage: An Inventory Of Effects [pdf page includes download link] and the cult album The Medium Is The Massage: with Marshall McLuhan [41m].
Bonus viewing: McLuhan's Wake [1h33m], narrated by Laurie Anderson, is a grand overview of McLuhan's theories.
The lady in seat 4F, though, the one in the light cashmere pullover reading the newspaper, she clicked the latch on her seat-back tray and said: "Double Smirnoff, on the rocks. And Doritos." NYTimes
Recipe: Celery Toasts
With the final debate behind us (MetaFilter), many people registered and many states now voting, we're into the last few weeks of this increasingly globally watched 2016 US election. These are unhappy days for Donald, with that debate not going well for him and launching a hundred t-shirt designs, the map shrinking, likely voters not helping, and being booed at a charity dinner; sad! Hillary, at increasingly shorter odds to win, seems to be having a better time, while Joe has a hot car (MetaFilter) and Evan McMullin (who) (twitter) continues to make the presidential vote in Utah more interesting. But it's not just the presidency up for election; there's the Senate (538 forecast), House, and various measures such as the minimum wage, and 17 propositions in California (also on MetaFilter), plus a crucial vote in Westport.
* Ballotpedia has a mass of election resources.
* Plan your election day; again from Ballotpedia, state-by-state poll opening and closing times.
* Voter information by lampshade.
* The MeFites United team at the Hillary for America online call tool. n.b. searched but could not find similar for other POTUS candidates; comment if you know/find similar.
* How to vote in every state by NoxAeternum.
* Voter Registration Deadlines, by Rock The Vote.
Voting accessibility, and voter ID, registration and suppression continue to be concerns on many fronts. For example, in Indiana, the VP candidate Mike Pence is accused of such suppression (more), while in Wisconsin yet more rule changes make voting trickier, in North Carolina early voting is hindered by long lines and in Texas, ads are now running including the word 'reasonably'. Various states ignore orders to restore voter rights, and a myriad of other problems could cause problems on election day, while Snopes has some clarity on the widely-circulated images of responding to poll watchers.
Stop the election I want to get off
- AskMeFi: Wanted: distracting internet stuff, NOT politics or current events
- ...it's really important for you to give yourself a break from this if it's negatively affecting your life (by Deoridhe)
- Best of MetaFilter (contains occasional election links).
- Southern California Public Radio: How to avoid getting stressed by the election.
- A collection of Slow TV videos.
- To see The Blue without certain posts, edit your MeFi Preferences to exclude tags such as Election2016, Trump, Clinton, EvanBecomesPOTUS etc.
As Europe watches goings-on, people trying to influence the outcome include a fugitive (not murdered) and his leaks, a Whitewater Committee special counsel, a fan of both Tolkien and Ayn Rand, the creator of Power Rangers and a TV host who never claimed to be a journalist. However, Vladimir denies trying to influence the result, but would like his people to go monitor the election.
Take it to MetaTalk:
- October 19th: Mefite Election Volunteering.
- October 15th: Can we stop attacking left-of-Clinton/anti-establishment folks on here?
- October 14th: [some appropriate and witty Hamilton post title here] (death of MetaFilter, 2016 edition).
- September 26th: The Election Debate Logistics Thread.
MetaFilter nostalgia: the 2014 US midterm election (please ignore the final paragraph).
Suggested election night cuisine:
- Pro-Trump voters.
- Anti-Trump Republican voters.
- Evan McMullin supporters.
- Gary Johnson supporters (because).
- People who write in the current POTUS for a third term.
Post title because MeFites.
Frozen Dreams: Russia's Arctic obsession (16 min.) is a Financial Times video feature about Russian Federation preparations to take advantage of the Northern Sea Route opening up along its Arctic coast, which may at some point offer a preferable path for global shipping between the Atlantic region and East Asia, in comparison with the conventional route through the Mediterranean, Suez Canal, and Indian Ocean.
A recent edition of 60 minutes discussed both US and Russian exploration and exploitation of the Arctic. (CBS link is geo-locked and time-windowed, unfortunately.)
Drugslab is an educational YouTube channel about drugs. On this YouTube channel we will take in the drugs you want us to try. We do this in the name of science so we can show you what the effects of drugs are on the human body. ... Besides our weekly experiment, we provide you of safe methods of use, safe doses, the effects, the risks and very useful do's and don'ts when high on drugs. Given by experienced epicureans. Light it up people, in the name of science! Peace. Dutch language, English subtitles, links inside.
Magic mushrooms - do's and don'ts | 1:29
Rens trips on magic mushrooms | 11:04
MDMA crystals - Do's and dont's | 0:55
Nellie dances on MDMA crystals | 10:43
Ketamine (special K ) - do's and don'ts | 1:02
Bastiaan sniffs ketamine (special K) | 10:18
Nitrous oxide (N20) - Do's and don'ts | 0:48
Rens & Bastiaan fly high on nitrous oxide (N20) | 10:33
2C-B - Do's and don'ts | 1:26
Nellie trips on 2C-B | 10:20
Spacecake (cannabis / THC) - Do's and don'ts | 0:58
Bastiaan eats spacecake (cannabis / THC) | 10:12
Ecstasy (XTC / MDMA) Do's and don'ts | 1:19
Rens tries Ecstasy (XTC / MDMA) | 11:08
The historic 20th season of the WNBA culminated in a hotly contested finals match up between the two best teams of the league, culminating in game five was decided in the final seconds
After a historic 20th season full of statistical achievements, politics, tragedy (previously 1, 2) and a new focus on increasing visibility and revenue for the league, the two best teams in the league (including the reigning champions, 2016 MVP, 6th woman of the year, defensive player of the year, coach of the year, and six 2016 olympians) met in the final round of the newly-revamped WNBA playoffs. What resulted was a hotly contested series between the Minnesota Lynx and the Los Angeles Sparks (that was not without controversy), where the winner was decided in the final seconds of an instantly classic, legacy defining game five for all fan of the game.
Many sites including Twitter, Shopify and Spotify suffering outage. USA Today and Fortune Magazine offer additional details. White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said the Department of Homeland Security was "monitoring the situation" but that "at this point [we] don't have any information about who may be responsible for this malicious activity."
David Hall is snapping up farmland to bring his vision of a sustainable high-density community to life. The neighbors are horrified. (SLBloomberg)
The regime's state of emergency, announced this month, has legitimated two things. The first one is that it formalized the regime's implicit desire and behaviour of being a military dictatorship... Secondly, it made it official that the slow motion mass murder the regime has been undertaking for the last 25 years could be carried out with full scale and coordinated order of the "command post" with much bigger causalities than the "red terror" of 1978-79.